Govt should modify Food Security Act: Binayak Sen
Thiruvananthapuram: Noted social activist Binayak Sen on Saturday sought modifications in the proposed Food Security Act to ensure the poor get enough food, saying it would not achieve the desired result in the present form.
The process of classifying beneficiaries eligible for food grains under the present Act was complex and would lead to corruption, he said while delivering a lecture on "Are the poor getting poorer" in connection with the Fifth Annual Kovlam literary festival, the second leg of which began here today.
"Everything is fluid in the Act. Nobody knows what will happen. There was also talk on reducing the quantum of food grains to be supplied from present level of 35 kg", he said.
The Act would replace PDS supplying food grains by cash transfer which was disastrous for the poor in the country, Sen said, adding, it should be modified to ensure that poor gets enough food.
He also suggested that the Centre supply pulses and oil along with rice and wheat through PDS.
Referring to malnutrition among Indians, Sen said it was akin to a `famine like situation.`
Sen said government should discourage conversion of forest and agricultural land for cultivation of commercial crops like sugarcane, tobacco and soybean.
He also criticised handing over of natural resources to multinationals, saying this has deprived the poor of access to water and other resources for their livelihood.
Sen`s wife Ilina Sen also spoke on the occasion.
Several writers from all over the country and abroad, including Israel are participating in the two-day event, organised in memory of veteran journalist the late KC John.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark