Govt should resign on moral grounds: BJP
New Delhi: With the Constitution Amendment
Bill on Lokpal failing in Lok Sabha, BJP demanded
resignation of the UPA government on moral grounds.
"Government should resign on moral grounds. Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh has no moral right to continue in
office," BJP leader Yashwant Sinha told reporters after the
embarassing development for the government.
He noted that the government could not muster even simple
majority of 273 votes in favour as it managed only 250 votes
on the crucial legislation.
"Rahul Gandhi`s dream has been shattered. This shows the
monumental inefficiency of this government.
"I had said during my speech that Prime Minister spoke as
if he was making his farewell speech. If any morality left is
left in them, they should quit," Sinha said.
On the attack by Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee for
the defeat of the bill, he said he was indulging in politics.
Sinha said it was the government`s responsibility to
ensure the requisite numbers in the House and not that of the
CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta said the government should
"look into the mirror" as it could not mobilise the required
strength for the Constitution Amendment Bill.
He said the Lokpal was no more a Lokpal "but only its
Minister of State for DoPT V Narayanasamy, who had moved
the Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill, said, "We will bring the Bill
to Rajya Sabha. We will try hard for its passage there despite
knowing that we don`t have a majority."
BJP leader Gopinath Munde also demanded that the UPA
government should quit on moral grounds as they "miserably
failed" to garner the requisite support.
Reacting to the charges, Congress spokesperson Abhishek
Manu Singhvi trained guns on the BJP for the defeat of the
bill, saying "a good idea ought not to have been rejected only
for political reasons".
"How can those who have rejected the Bill justify their
conduct in light of the need for a Lokpal withn an enhanced
status," he said.
Trinamool Congress MP Kalyan Banerjee blamed the CPI-M
and other Left parties for "colluding with the BJP" to defeat
Union Minister Kapil Sibal said the BJP has "shown its
true colour. They never wanted any law to fight corruption".
"The Opposition is a stumbling block and they will pay
for it," he said.
Sibal`s Cabinet colleague Salman Khurshid said BJP
"We have achieved in getting a Lokpal. We had promised a
Lokpal and the Lokpal Bill has been passed. A statutory
Lokpal, at least, has been established," Khurshid said.
The constitutional status the UPA government wanted to
give, could not be given, he said.
"Why don`t you ask the BJP who did not let us do so. We
had the majority and that is why the Lokpal Bill got passed."
Reacting to Congress attacks against the Opposition,
CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said for the UPA to have got the
Constitution Amendment Bill passed, they required support of
273 members. "But the UPA`s strength stands at 275."
"So it is clear that they could not mobilise their own
support base, with the Trinamool Congress also not backing
"Either the Congress was not really interested in this or
it miserably failed in its floor management. Blaming the
Opposition for this defeat is a flimsy excuse," Yechury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly