Govt should run like an Army unit: Gen VK Singh
Jind: Former Army chief Gen VK Singh has said the country needed a system where the government was run like a military unit, for which the nation is above any caste or religion.
"Poverty and corruption are rampant in the country and no effective steps had been taken to eradicate them... The country needs a system where the government was run like an Army unit for which the nation is of prime importance and caste or religion comes later," Singh said here last night addressing a public meeting of `Jantantra Yatra`, led by anti-corruption crusader and social activist Anna Hazare.
The former Army chief alleged that various political parties divided people on the basis of caste and religion for their political gain.
Hazare, however, could not preside over the meeting due to ill-health. Gen Singh has been touring with Hazare in Punjab and Haryana as part of the Yatra since March 31, which entered Karsindhu village of Jind district last evening.
Gen Singh appealed to the people to attend Jan-Sansad (public-rally) which will be held in New Delhi in September this year, and unitedly fight against corrupt people and anti-national forces.
Earlier, addressing series of rallies on way to Jind, Anna Hazare had said the `Jantantra Morcha` is not seeking change of power at the Centre, but is struggling for a change in the existing political system for choosing better leaders.
Hazare had said "we have started fight against the system where corrupt and criminals were ruling the country" and called upon the people to choose honest persons in the upcoming General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened