Govt should run like an Army unit: Gen VK Singh
Jind: Former Army chief Gen VK Singh has said the country needed a system where the government was run like a military unit, for which the nation is above any caste or religion.
"Poverty and corruption are rampant in the country and no effective steps had been taken to eradicate them... The country needs a system where the government was run like an Army unit for which the nation is of prime importance and caste or religion comes later," Singh said here last night addressing a public meeting of `Jantantra Yatra`, led by anti-corruption crusader and social activist Anna Hazare.
The former Army chief alleged that various political parties divided people on the basis of caste and religion for their political gain.
Hazare, however, could not preside over the meeting due to ill-health. Gen Singh has been touring with Hazare in Punjab and Haryana as part of the Yatra since March 31, which entered Karsindhu village of Jind district last evening.
Gen Singh appealed to the people to attend Jan-Sansad (public-rally) which will be held in New Delhi in September this year, and unitedly fight against corrupt people and anti-national forces.
Earlier, addressing series of rallies on way to Jind, Anna Hazare had said the `Jantantra Morcha` is not seeking change of power at the Centre, but is struggling for a change in the existing political system for choosing better leaders.
Hazare had said "we have started fight against the system where corrupt and criminals were ruling the country" and called upon the people to choose honest persons in the upcoming General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!