Govt should run like an Army unit: Gen VK Singh
Jind: Former Army chief Gen VK Singh has said the country needed a system where the government was run like a military unit, for which the nation is above any caste or religion.
"Poverty and corruption are rampant in the country and no effective steps had been taken to eradicate them... The country needs a system where the government was run like an Army unit for which the nation is of prime importance and caste or religion comes later," Singh said here last night addressing a public meeting of `Jantantra Yatra`, led by anti-corruption crusader and social activist Anna Hazare.
The former Army chief alleged that various political parties divided people on the basis of caste and religion for their political gain.
Hazare, however, could not preside over the meeting due to ill-health. Gen Singh has been touring with Hazare in Punjab and Haryana as part of the Yatra since March 31, which entered Karsindhu village of Jind district last evening.
Gen Singh appealed to the people to attend Jan-Sansad (public-rally) which will be held in New Delhi in September this year, and unitedly fight against corrupt people and anti-national forces.
Earlier, addressing series of rallies on way to Jind, Anna Hazare had said the `Jantantra Morcha` is not seeking change of power at the Centre, but is struggling for a change in the existing political system for choosing better leaders.
Hazare had said "we have started fight against the system where corrupt and criminals were ruling the country" and called upon the people to choose honest persons in the upcoming General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof