Govt should stop playing politics with terrorism: BJP
New Delhi: Refuting Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s charge that Opposition-ruled states were opposed to formation of NCTC, the BJP on Saturday said the government needs to strengthen intelligence gathering and coordination rather than "playing politics" on the issue of terrorism.
"Several innocent lives have been lost in the Hyderabad blasts. The government should stop playing politics on the issue of terrorism. We want the government to take appropriate action. There should be better coordination between the Centre and the state governments," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
The main opposition party maintained that the blame game should stop and the system of intelligence gathering and sharing of information between the Centre and the states should be looked into.
Pledging all support to the government in the fight against terrorism, the BJP said the country should unitedly deal with the menace. However, it alleged that the government is not taking appropriate measures.
"This government should rise above vote-bank politics...On every passing day, Shinde is being seen as an unsuccessful Home Minister," Prasad said.
In the past, the BJP has opposed National Counter Terrorism Centre on the grounds that it will encroach upon the policing rights of states. But the BJP-ruled states maintain they are ready to cooperate on some aspects like sharing of information.
Asked about Shinde`s charge that some states are opposed to NCTC, Prasad said, "We are not against coordination between the Centre and the states. But why was there no coordination between the Andhra Pradesh STF and the Centre. The Centre says it had given intelligence inputs, but the state says it had not received any information."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre