`Govt should sway KGB to resign as NHRC chief`
New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of India JS Verma on Sunday said the government should persuade NHRC Chairperson KG Balakrishnan to demit his office against whom the Centre has decided to conduct a probe into allegations of disproportionate assets.
In an interview to a TV news channel, Verma said the continuance of the former
CJI as NHRC chairperson affects its image internationally.
"He (Balakrishnan) should have demitted long back. If he does not do it voluntarily, the government should persuade him to do that," he said in response to a question on whether the NHRC chief should demit his office in wake of corruption
allegations against him.
The Home Ministry has a few days back asked the Revenue Department to conduct a probe into the allegations of disproportionate assets against Balakrishnan.
The missive came after it received a petition alleging that Balakrishnan had acquired assets disproportionate to his known sources of income and some of these properties were purchased in the name of his close relatives.
Verma, who had also headed the NHRC earlier, said, "NHRC actually faced the flak recently when there was a threat to downgrade its stature."
He also made a strong plea for constituting a National Judicial Commission (NJC) replacing the collegiums system for appointing judges.
"That (NJC) would act as a check no doubt and I think the time has come when more checks and balances are required," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!