Govt signs MoUs with 3 countries to fight terror financing
New Delhi: The government has signed
memoranda of understanding with Russia, Malaysia and Brazil
this year for combating money laundering and terror financing.
Negotiations with more than 30 other countries is under
process for enhancing international cooperation in fighting
illegal routing of money for terror and Hawala like
operations, a senior Finance Ministry official has said.
India has also signed MoUs in this regard with Mauritius
and the Philippines in 2008.
The MoUs will enable the country`s Financial Intelligence
Unit (FIU)-- a government agency to investigate and
disseminate information between financial and law enforcement
agencies for identification of suspicious money laundering --
to share information with foreign FIUs wherever considered
necessary and reciprocally to obtain information from them on
money-laundering activities, the official said.
The government, in the same context this year, received
69 requests of information from foreign financial intelligence
units while it sent 17 such requests to other countries.
The Union government has also established Joint Working
Groups (JWG)-- comprising senior officials from enforcement
agencies -- with a number of countries like the US, Germany,
the UK and Russia on various operational issues relating to
terrorism and other crimes including money laundering and drug
A joint meet was held with Russia this year, the Finance
Ministry official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly