Govt signs MoUs with 3 countries to fight terror financing
New Delhi: The government has signed
memoranda of understanding with Russia, Malaysia and Brazil
this year for combating money laundering and terror financing.
Negotiations with more than 30 other countries is under
process for enhancing international cooperation in fighting
illegal routing of money for terror and Hawala like
operations, a senior Finance Ministry official has said.
India has also signed MoUs in this regard with Mauritius
and the Philippines in 2008.
The MoUs will enable the country`s Financial Intelligence
Unit (FIU)-- a government agency to investigate and
disseminate information between financial and law enforcement
agencies for identification of suspicious money laundering --
to share information with foreign FIUs wherever considered
necessary and reciprocally to obtain information from them on
money-laundering activities, the official said.
The government, in the same context this year, received
69 requests of information from foreign financial intelligence
units while it sent 17 such requests to other countries.
The Union government has also established Joint Working
Groups (JWG)-- comprising senior officials from enforcement
agencies -- with a number of countries like the US, Germany,
the UK and Russia on various operational issues relating to
terrorism and other crimes including money laundering and drug
A joint meet was held with Russia this year, the Finance
Ministry official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31