Govt "silent" on campaign against SC in judiciary: NCSC
New Delhi: Taking a serious note of what it
alleged a "vilification campaign" against Scheduled Castes in
judiciary especially in relation to reportage of Karnataka
High Court Chief Justice P D Dinakaran episode, the National
Commission for Scheduled Castes today accused the government
of "keeping silent" on the issue.
"If the tirade against Scheduled Castes in judiciary
is not stopped, the Commission would be duty bound to take
stock of the situation which has arisen from the unabashed
and continuous campaigning of vilification against the Chief
Justice of India K G Balakrishnan and Chief Justice of
Karnataka High Court P D Dinakaran," a statement released by
National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) said here.
The statement said "NCSC has taken a serious view of
the campaign launched in the entire media by some of
the anti-Dalit and casteist elements both in Bar Council of
India and various bar associations of the states...
"The issue has been highlighted in the name of
appointment of Justice Dinakaran....whose name was unanimously
approved by collegium of Supreme Court (for elevation as judge
in Supreme Court)", said the Commission headed by former union
minister Buta Singh.
Criticising the government, the statement said "the
NCSC would have welcomed any step taken by the government to
preserve the honour of Justice of India and the Chief Justices
of High Courts and Scheduled Caste judges serving in various
courts of the country.
"But unfortunately, the government is keeping silent,
which has given sufficient room to the media to play upon the
constitutional rights of Scheduled Castes", it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’