Govt solving migrant labourer problem: Labour Minister
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday claimed that the
problem of migrant labourers is being solved gradually through
several Bharat Nirman schemes and rural job guarantee
Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said in Rajya Sabha
during Question Hour that schemes like NREGA, which provides
100 days of guaranteed employment to the rural poor, and
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) along with other
Bharat Nirman schemes have been beneficial for labourers.
"NREGA and PMGSY have helped in reducing the numbers of
migrant labourers in the country as employment is being
provided to them in their own villages," he said.
The minister said government is keen on helping migrant
workers and has formed a taskforce in this regard.
Kharge said as far as number of migrants from Bangladesh
was concerned, 4,000 valid visas have been issued and the
number could be much more due to illegal immigration. "I will
find out the actual figure from the Home Ministry," he said.
When Rajiv Pratap Rudy and Prakash Javadekar (both BJP)
wanted to know how states like Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh
and Maharashtra could have 1.2 crore, 1.01 crore and 2.07
crore migrant workers, Kharge said the figures were based on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM