Govt solving migrant labourer problem: Labour Minister
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday claimed that the
problem of migrant labourers is being solved gradually through
several Bharat Nirman schemes and rural job guarantee
Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said in Rajya Sabha
during Question Hour that schemes like NREGA, which provides
100 days of guaranteed employment to the rural poor, and
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) along with other
Bharat Nirman schemes have been beneficial for labourers.
"NREGA and PMGSY have helped in reducing the numbers of
migrant labourers in the country as employment is being
provided to them in their own villages," he said.
The minister said government is keen on helping migrant
workers and has formed a taskforce in this regard.
Kharge said as far as number of migrants from Bangladesh
was concerned, 4,000 valid visas have been issued and the
number could be much more due to illegal immigration. "I will
find out the actual figure from the Home Ministry," he said.
When Rajiv Pratap Rudy and Prakash Javadekar (both BJP)
wanted to know how states like Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh
and Maharashtra could have 1.2 crore, 1.01 crore and 2.07
crore migrant workers, Kharge said the figures were based on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!