Govt spent Rs 9,573 on Kasab`s funeral; Rs 28 crore on upkeep
Mumbai: Both Maharashtra and the union government spent Rs 28.46 crore to provide food, security, medicines and clothes during Ajmal Kasab`s confinement in Arthur Road Central prison here and at Yerwada jail in Pune.
The government spent Rs 9,573 on Kasab`s funeral and on the day of his execution, it spent Rs 33.75 on food and Rs 169 on his clothes, according to information obtained through an RTI query by Athak Seva Sangh chairman Anil Galgali.
"After I filed an application to obtain the information, the government replied to various questions but postmortem and mercy petition documents were denied by the state government," Galgali said.
Galgali had asked government to provide the total expenditure details on Kasab and his postmortem and mercy petition documents.
Maharashtra government spent Rs 6,76,49,676.82 on Kasab including food (Rs 43,417.67), security (Rs 1,50,57,774. 90), medicines (Rs 32,097), clothes (Rs 2,047), security construction (Rs 5,25,16,542) and funeral (Rs 9573).
Galgali has filed a "first appeal" with the Deputy Secretary of the Home department seeking information related to postmortem and mercy petition which the Under Secretary had denied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'