Govt starts process to withdraw Rathore medal
New Delhi: The Centre has started the
process to withdraw the police medal given to convicted former
Haryana Director General of Police S P S Rathore, Union Home
Secretary G K Pillai said on Saturday.
"The Home Ministry is taking steps to withdraw the police
medal given to Rathore in 1985. The matter will be placed
before an award committee on January 4. Thereafter the
recommendation will go to the President," Pillai told
Meanwhile, there have been startling revelations made in the Ruchika molestation case. The reason of death has been cited as the intake of pills that reduce obesity. The affidavit claims that in the panchnama, Ruchika and her father’s name has been changed.
Rathore has been sentenced by a CBI court to six months
in jail for molesting 14-year-old Ruchika Girhotra 19 years
"As far as other issues are concerned -- reduction of
pension and (his) conduct unbecoming of a police officer --
show-cause notice has been initiated," Pillai said.
The Ministry has sent the notice to Rathore asking why
his police medal should not be taken away and pension reduced
as his conduct was unbecoming of a police officer.
The 1965-batch IPS officer, who retired in 2002, was
awarded the Police Medal for Meritorious service on August
Ruchika, a budding tennis player, was molested in 1990 by
Rathore, the then Inspector General of Police. She committed
suicide three years later by consuming poison. Her family
alleges that she was forced to take the extreme step as
authorities harassed her family for pursuing the case against
the police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling