Govt strengthens early warning systems for monsoon
New Delhi: Ahead of the monsoon, government has strengthened the capacity of early warning systems to deal with disasters and augmented inventory of relief material.
Secretary, Border Management in the Home Ministry, AK Mangotra said the annual conference of state relief commissioners and functionaries of state department of disaster management on Tuesday reviewed the status of preparedness for South-West Monsoon, 2013.
He said the capacities of early warning systems have been strengthened but there was a need to augment multi-sectoral approach in dealing with disasters.
Mangotra said an inventory of relief material is being set up at the central level.
The conference was also informed that the government has started National School Safety Programme in 8,600 schools of 43 districts in 22 states across the country.
Joint Secretary, Disaster Management in the MHA, GVV Sarma made a presentation on issues related to disaster management in the county.
Other agencies like India Meteorological Department, National Institute of Disaster Management, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, National Disaster Management Authority, Central Water Commission, Geological Survey of India, National Disaster Response Force and Ministry of Defence also made presentations relating to the role of their organisation for preparedness and further enhancement of the capacity to deal with disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Three-year-old boy, rescued from a borewell in Gwalior, declared dead by doctors
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'
- Three suspects arrested in Florida for trying to join terror group ISIS