Govt strengthens early warning systems for monsoon
New Delhi: Ahead of the monsoon, government has strengthened the capacity of early warning systems to deal with disasters and augmented inventory of relief material.
Secretary, Border Management in the Home Ministry, AK Mangotra said the annual conference of state relief commissioners and functionaries of state department of disaster management on Tuesday reviewed the status of preparedness for South-West Monsoon, 2013.
He said the capacities of early warning systems have been strengthened but there was a need to augment multi-sectoral approach in dealing with disasters.
Mangotra said an inventory of relief material is being set up at the central level.
The conference was also informed that the government has started National School Safety Programme in 8,600 schools of 43 districts in 22 states across the country.
Joint Secretary, Disaster Management in the MHA, GVV Sarma made a presentation on issues related to disaster management in the county.
Other agencies like India Meteorological Department, National Institute of Disaster Management, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, National Disaster Management Authority, Central Water Commission, Geological Survey of India, National Disaster Response Force and Ministry of Defence also made presentations relating to the role of their organisation for preparedness and further enhancement of the capacity to deal with disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir