Govt studying feasibility of providing food subsidy in cash
New Delhi: The government today said it has
prepared a draft scheme to check the feasibility of providing
food subsidy in cash to the poor instead of foodgrain, on a
pilot basis in select districts of three states.
Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi have submitted proposals
for direct disbursement of food subsidy in cash to the below-
the-poverty line (BPL) families on a pilot basis instead of
distributing foodgrain through the public distribution system.
"Based on these proposals, a draft scheme has been
prepared to test the feasibility of transferring food subsidy
in cash to the BPL families," Minister of States for Food and
Agriculture KV Thomas told the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
The draft scheme has been referred to the Finance
Ministry for approval of the committee on non-Plan
expenditure, he said.
Currently, the government provides 35 kg of foodgrain
every month to 6.52 crore BPL families at subsidised price
through the PDS network. It also supplies 10-35 kg wheat and
rice per month to 11.5 crore APL families at cheaper rates
through the same. The BPL families get wheat and rice at Rs
4.15 a kg and Rs 5.65 a kg respectively, while APL gets wheat
and rice at Rs 6.10 and Rs 8.30 a kg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India