Govt supports Jamia`s minority institution status
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday told the Delhi High Court that it supports the minority status granted to Jamia Millia Islamia University by the National Commission
for Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI).
In an affidavit submitted to the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv, the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) said it respects the NCMEI`s
"The NCMEI has declared that Jamia Milia Islamia is a minority institution by virtue of its powers exercised under the relevant provisions of NCMEI Act, the government of
India respects the declaration made by the Commission," said the affidavit.
The court had earlier sought the government`s stand on a plea challenging the NCMEI`s declaration. The plea contended the Commission has no jurisdiction or authority to declare it
as a minority institution.
The bench asked the counsel for the parties to argue as to whether the institution was established by the members of minority community.
"Show us whether Jamia was established by the members of Muslim community or not and whether the institution was being administered by the members of minority community," the bench said.
Appearing for the petitioner, senior advocate KK Rai said the Commission has wrongly declared the University a minority institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das