Govt supports Jamia`s minority institution status
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday told the Delhi High Court that it supports the minority status granted to Jamia Millia Islamia University by the National Commission
for Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI).
In an affidavit submitted to the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv, the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) said it respects the NCMEI`s
"The NCMEI has declared that Jamia Milia Islamia is a minority institution by virtue of its powers exercised under the relevant provisions of NCMEI Act, the government of
India respects the declaration made by the Commission," said the affidavit.
The court had earlier sought the government`s stand on a plea challenging the NCMEI`s declaration. The plea contended the Commission has no jurisdiction or authority to declare it
as a minority institution.
The bench asked the counsel for the parties to argue as to whether the institution was established by the members of minority community.
"Show us whether Jamia was established by the members of Muslim community or not and whether the institution was being administered by the members of minority community," the bench said.
Appearing for the petitioner, senior advocate KK Rai said the Commission has wrongly declared the University a minority institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'