Govt supports Jamia`s minority institution status
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday told the Delhi High Court that it supports the minority status granted to Jamia Millia Islamia University by the National Commission
for Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI).
In an affidavit submitted to the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv, the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) said it respects the NCMEI`s
"The NCMEI has declared that Jamia Milia Islamia is a minority institution by virtue of its powers exercised under the relevant provisions of NCMEI Act, the government of
India respects the declaration made by the Commission," said the affidavit.
The court had earlier sought the government`s stand on a plea challenging the NCMEI`s declaration. The plea contended the Commission has no jurisdiction or authority to declare it
as a minority institution.
The bench asked the counsel for the parties to argue as to whether the institution was established by the members of minority community.
"Show us whether Jamia was established by the members of Muslim community or not and whether the institution was being administered by the members of minority community," the bench said.
Appearing for the petitioner, senior advocate KK Rai said the Commission has wrongly declared the University a minority institution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India