`Govt targets to enrol 60 cr people by 2014-end under Aadhaar`
New Delhi: The government has the target to enrol about 60 crore people by the end of 2014 under the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) enabled Aadhaar cards, its Chairman Nandan Nilekani said on Thursday.
"The original commitment that we made when we started is about 600 million by the end of 2014. The idea of the project (UIDAI) is to give ID to every Indian resident," Nilekani said during Mindmine Summit 2013 here today.
Till February 2013, UIDAI has generated over 28.78 crore Aadhaar numbers.
Nilekani further said large number of Indians do not have any record to prove their identity or birth certificates while the government is increasing its spending for social welfare, thus the idea of UIDAI was floated.
"...The government is increasing its public welfare spending and they want to be more efficient. So the ID programme began like that. The Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) is an application of the ID platform for the purpose of distributing benefits," Nilekani said.
He said the government has already rolled out the DBT scheme is 43 districts in last three months to extend benefits such as pension and scholarships.
He said Aadhaar enrolment has eliminated duplication and fraud so as to extend such benefits to the intended people.
Aadhaar numbers have also helped the government on the fiscal front, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs