`Govt targets to enrol 60 cr people by 2014-end under Aadhaar`
New Delhi: The government has the target to enrol about 60 crore people by the end of 2014 under the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) enabled Aadhaar cards, its Chairman Nandan Nilekani said on Thursday.
"The original commitment that we made when we started is about 600 million by the end of 2014. The idea of the project (UIDAI) is to give ID to every Indian resident," Nilekani said during Mindmine Summit 2013 here today.
Till February 2013, UIDAI has generated over 28.78 crore Aadhaar numbers.
Nilekani further said large number of Indians do not have any record to prove their identity or birth certificates while the government is increasing its spending for social welfare, thus the idea of UIDAI was floated.
"...The government is increasing its public welfare spending and they want to be more efficient. So the ID programme began like that. The Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) is an application of the ID platform for the purpose of distributing benefits," Nilekani said.
He said the government has already rolled out the DBT scheme is 43 districts in last three months to extend benefits such as pension and scholarships.
He said Aadhaar enrolment has eliminated duplication and fraud so as to extend such benefits to the intended people.
Aadhaar numbers have also helped the government on the fiscal front, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch