`Govt targets to enrol 60 cr people by 2014-end under Aadhaar`
New Delhi: The government has the target to enrol about 60 crore people by the end of 2014 under the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) enabled Aadhaar cards, its Chairman Nandan Nilekani said on Thursday.
"The original commitment that we made when we started is about 600 million by the end of 2014. The idea of the project (UIDAI) is to give ID to every Indian resident," Nilekani said during Mindmine Summit 2013 here today.
Till February 2013, UIDAI has generated over 28.78 crore Aadhaar numbers.
Nilekani further said large number of Indians do not have any record to prove their identity or birth certificates while the government is increasing its spending for social welfare, thus the idea of UIDAI was floated.
"...The government is increasing its public welfare spending and they want to be more efficient. So the ID programme began like that. The Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) is an application of the ID platform for the purpose of distributing benefits," Nilekani said.
He said the government has already rolled out the DBT scheme is 43 districts in last three months to extend benefits such as pension and scholarships.
He said Aadhaar enrolment has eliminated duplication and fraud so as to extend such benefits to the intended people.
Aadhaar numbers have also helped the government on the fiscal front, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark