Govt to appoint CVOs in multi-state societies to check graft
New Delhi: The government has decided to appoint chief vigilance officers (CVOs) in multi-state cooperatives like IFFCO, NAFED and KRIBHCO to look into allegations of corruption and check other irregularities.
The move follows the decision by Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), which acts as a nodal agency to ensure transparency in governance and start anti-corruption measures, last month to bring these societies under the ambit of Central Vigilance Commission`s jurisdiction.
Sources in the DoPT said the appointment of CVOs, who act as a distant arm of CVC, will help CVC conduct enquiries on complaints of corruption and other irregularities.
"The modalities are being worked out in consultation with the CVC and others for the appointment of CVOs. The government will initiate the process of appointment of the CVOs after that," a DoPT official said.
The decision to bring cooperatives societies under the CVC came following complaints of alleged corruption against its officials, after which a legal opinion of Attorney General was obtained.
"The learned AG has opined that the members, office bearers and employees of the multi-state cooperative societies would fall within the purview of Section 2(c) of the Prevention of Corruption Act and that the CVC is duly empowered to exercise jurisdiction over them," according to an office memorandum issued by the DoPT.
The section explains category of a public servant who could be covered under the PC Act. It includes a person in the service or pay of a corporation established by or under a central, provincial or state act among others.
Societies like Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO), National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Limited (NAFED) and Krishak Bharati Cooperative (KRIBHCO) were enjoying immunity from the CVC lens before the latest order by the DoPT.
Both the DoPT and CVC are considering ways to strengthen vigilance mechanism in the multi-cooperative societies to check any wrongdoing.
It is pertinent to mention that the CVC is already looking into complaints of alleged irregularities against managing director of IFFCO including misuse of society`s funds to corner a posh bungalow worth several crores in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM