Govt to assess utilisation of funds given to PRIs
New Delhi: The Government has decided to assess the utilisation of the over Rs 400 crore given by it under a national award to Panchayati Raj Institutions for improving sanitation conditions in villages.
The Rural Development Ministry has decided to undertake the `Assessment Study of Impact and Sustainability of Niram Gram Puraskar (NGP)` given to Panchayati Raj
Institutions during 2005-08.
"The main purpose of the study is to assess the impact
of NGP on the pace of progress of sanitation availability and
usage in the country and its related impact on health,
education, gender empowerment, social inclusion in rural areas
on different user groups particularly the rural poor," the
The study will assess the "sustainability and
durability" of the provision and usage of sanitary facilities
over time," it said.
To give a fillip to its Total Sanitation Campaign
(TSC), the Ministry had launched the Nirmal Gram Puraskar in
2003 and gave away the first awards in 2005.
More than 22,444 gram panchayats, 165 block panchayats
and 10 district panchayats have so far received the national
award with incentive money for their outstanding contribution
towards ensuring full sanitation coverage in their areas of
PRIs that receive the incentive amount under NGP are
expected to use them for improving and maintaining sanitation
facilities in their respective areas.
TSC lays strong emphasis on information, education &
communication (IEC), capacity building and hygiene education
for effective behaviour change with the involvement of PRIs,
CBOs and NGOs.
"NGP has emerged as one of the empowering and
motivational tools for the PRIs and local leaders for
promoting sanitation. But, there is need to conduct a study to
get an evidence of what has so far been claimed. The rationale
of this evaluation study will be to provide important evidence
on the NGP component of the TSC," a ministry official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing