Govt to assess utilisation of funds given to PRIs
New Delhi: The Government has decided to assess the utilisation of the over Rs 400 crore given by it under a national award to Panchayati Raj Institutions for improving sanitation conditions in villages.
The Rural Development Ministry has decided to undertake the `Assessment Study of Impact and Sustainability of Niram Gram Puraskar (NGP)` given to Panchayati Raj
Institutions during 2005-08.
"The main purpose of the study is to assess the impact
of NGP on the pace of progress of sanitation availability and
usage in the country and its related impact on health,
education, gender empowerment, social inclusion in rural areas
on different user groups particularly the rural poor," the
The study will assess the "sustainability and
durability" of the provision and usage of sanitary facilities
over time," it said.
To give a fillip to its Total Sanitation Campaign
(TSC), the Ministry had launched the Nirmal Gram Puraskar in
2003 and gave away the first awards in 2005.
More than 22,444 gram panchayats, 165 block panchayats
and 10 district panchayats have so far received the national
award with incentive money for their outstanding contribution
towards ensuring full sanitation coverage in their areas of
PRIs that receive the incentive amount under NGP are
expected to use them for improving and maintaining sanitation
facilities in their respective areas.
TSC lays strong emphasis on information, education &
communication (IEC), capacity building and hygiene education
for effective behaviour change with the involvement of PRIs,
CBOs and NGOs.
"NGP has emerged as one of the empowering and
motivational tools for the PRIs and local leaders for
promoting sanitation. But, there is need to conduct a study to
get an evidence of what has so far been claimed. The rationale
of this evaluation study will be to provide important evidence
on the NGP component of the TSC," a ministry official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- 7th Pay Commission: Delhi govt notifies hike in salaries, pensions for over 1 lakh employees
- Olympics 2016: Andy Murray dominates in Rio Games, outsider Monica Puig arrives on big stage
- SALUTE! What a mom she is! This lady catches her son teasing girl - WATCH what happened next
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan