Govt to bring draft model legislation for state discoms
New Delhi: After announcing a debt restructuring package for the state electricity boards, the government Tuesday said it would bring a draft model bill for fixing responsibility on state discoms.
"Ministry of Power would bring out a draft State Electricity Distribution Responsibility bill after due inter-ministerial consultation within a period of 12 months from the approval of the scheme," Power Minister Veerappa Moily told reporters here.
States will enact the legislation within 12 months from the date of circulation of model legislation by Ministry of Power to mandate compliance of the provisions of the financial restructuring package, he said.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the scheme for financial restructuring of state distribution companies (Discoms) yesterday.
The scheme contains various measures required to be taken by state discoms and state governments for achieving the financial turnaround of the discoms by restructuring their debt.
"The accumulated losses of the state discoms are estimated to be about Rs 1.9 lakh crore as on March 31, 2011 and Rs 2.46 lakh crore as on March 31, 2012," he said.
Under the scheme, 50 per cent of the short-term outstanding liabilities would be taken over by state governments. This shall be first converted into bonds and then issued by discoms to participating lenders, duly backed by the state government`s guarantee.
Balance 50 per cent loans would be restructured by providing three year moratorium on principle and best possible terms for repayment.
The objective of the proposed scheme is to enable the state governments and discoms to carve out a strategy for the financial turnaround of the power distribution companies.
This will be done by lenders agreeing to restructure or reschedule the existing short-term debt.
The approved scheme is not mandatory for the states.
So far only seven states, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Tamil Nadu have come on board, Moily said.
The minister also suggested that tariff rationalisation should take place annually by the states.
With the announcement of this scheme, the government aims to improve the financial health of the distribution utilities to enable them to procure more electricity for meeting their growing demands.
The approved scheme is formulated based on the report of an expert group headed by B K Chaturvedi, Member (Energy) Planning Commission and through deliberations in the PMO and Finance Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah