Govt to bring in Bill to check child sexual abuse
New Delhi: Government on Monday proposed to
bring in a comprehensive legislation soon to prevent sexual
abuse of children that will have provisions for stringent
punishment for such offences.
In her address to joint sitting of both houses of
Parliament, President Pratibha Patil said the government
"proposes to introduce a bill regarding protection of children
from sexual offences".
The new law will cover all new aspects of sexual
offences against children not covered elsewhere with provision
for stringent punishment.
Once through, this law will take precedence over any
other existing law.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi was keen to see the
bill through and had written to Women and Child Development
(WCD) minister Krishna Tirath last year asking her to hasten
the pace of the legislation focusing on sexual abuse of the
children, sources said.
Amid reports of differences between ministries, she
had asked the WCD ministry to coordinate with the Law Ministry
which had already prepared a draft bill on similar lines.
The proposed legislation aims at protecting children
against offences of sexual assault, sexual harassment,
pornography and provide for establishment of special courts
for trial of such offences.
The punishment for penetrative sexual assault has been
proposed as at least five years in jail and a minimum fine of
Rs 50,000. Sexual assault also includes fondling the child in
an inappropriate way which will invite a penalty of minimum
three years in jail.
There is a special provision preventing abuse of
children for pornographic purpose or possessing pornographic
material involving children. There will an obligation on
media, studio and photographic facilities to report such cases
and failure to do so will attract punishment.
To prevent misuse of this law, there is deterrent
factor on false complaints and false information leading to
six-month jail term.
There will be set procedure for media on reporting
that would bar giving details of the victim and accused
children`s family or personal details or any form of reporting
that can lead to their identification. Besides, it proposes
special courts and more sensitive ways in dealing with crime
In her address, Patil also touched upon the issue of
protection of women against sexual harassment at workplace.
"The Protection of Women Against Sexual Harassment at
Workplace Bill has also been introduced in Parliament," Patil
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly