Govt to change rules for promotion in IAS, IPS from states
New Delhi: If things go according to plan, a state public service officer may have to appear in a competitive exam and interview to get promoted to IAS and IPS.
The Centre has written to all states seeking their views to make changes in existing rules to select officers from states for three All India Services-- Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Forest Service (IFoS).
The move came on the recommendation from Administrative Reforms Commission and the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) which suggested changes in the existing system.
As per the proposed changes, the selection to IAS, IPS and IFoS from states` services shall be made through a 1000 marks four-stage process including a written exam and interview.
The selection to these services, if Centre`s proposal is accepted, will be through a common written examination having maximum 400 marks (with 40 per cent weightage) and consideration of additional length of service rendered by an officer in state police service having maximum 200 marks (20 per cent weightage.
Besides, assessment of service records will have maximum 250 marks (25 per cent weightage) and interview by a board will have a maximum of 150 marks and 15 per cent weightage for selection of an officer.
The two-paper exam will have tests on aptitude and on general studies. The second paper will have state specific and service specific questions respectively.
"It is requested that the comments of the state government, if any, on the above regulations may be sent to this department urgently, on or before May 31, 2013 failing which, it will be presumed that the state government does not have any comments to offer in this regard and further necessary action will be taken accordingly," the DoPT said in its directive to state governments.
At present, selection of state service officers into All India Services is made on the basis of review of seniority and Annual Confidential Reports (ACRs) of an officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof