Govt to crack whip against dubious educational institutions
Bangalore: Government is planning to crack the
whip against dubious institutions in the higher education
sector by setting up a national accreditation authority that
would ensure certain quality standards.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said the proposed authority would
be manned by experts whether it is engineering, medicine, law,
pharmacy or architecture, and not government representatives.
The government wants to be far removed from the processes of
education but not from the objectives of education.
This authority would outsource the job to accreditation
agencies which would evaluate institutions. If they don`t have
minimum benchmarks of quality, they would not be entitled to
run the institutions.
Every higher education institution would be required to
have their website giving all information about it, faculty
and other facilities. If the information provided on the
website was inconsistent with what`s on the ground, it would
be treated as "educational malpractice" which would attract
"It`s a new form of criminal offence for which
institutions and managements would be prosecuted," he said,
delivering the Sir Vithal N Chandavarkar Memorial Lecture on
"Empowering Through Education" at the Indian Institute of
Sibal expressed dismay that the present shortfall of
school teachers (at the elementary level) is 12 lakh but noted
that recruitment processes are in the hands of state
In this context, he lauded the initiative of software
major Wipro which, through its Azim Premji University has
committed to train 50,000 faculty irrespective of the
Sibal, who visited Wipro this morning, said the private
university wants to ensure that in every district there were
50 or 100 people who would empower the schools and faculty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM