Govt to crack whip against dubious educational institutions
Bangalore: Government is planning to crack the
whip against dubious institutions in the higher education
sector by setting up a national accreditation authority that
would ensure certain quality standards.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said the proposed authority would
be manned by experts whether it is engineering, medicine, law,
pharmacy or architecture, and not government representatives.
The government wants to be far removed from the processes of
education but not from the objectives of education.
This authority would outsource the job to accreditation
agencies which would evaluate institutions. If they don`t have
minimum benchmarks of quality, they would not be entitled to
run the institutions.
Every higher education institution would be required to
have their website giving all information about it, faculty
and other facilities. If the information provided on the
website was inconsistent with what`s on the ground, it would
be treated as "educational malpractice" which would attract
"It`s a new form of criminal offence for which
institutions and managements would be prosecuted," he said,
delivering the Sir Vithal N Chandavarkar Memorial Lecture on
"Empowering Through Education" at the Indian Institute of
Sibal expressed dismay that the present shortfall of
school teachers (at the elementary level) is 12 lakh but noted
that recruitment processes are in the hands of state
In this context, he lauded the initiative of software
major Wipro which, through its Azim Premji University has
committed to train 50,000 faculty irrespective of the
Sibal, who visited Wipro this morning, said the private
university wants to ensure that in every district there were
50 or 100 people who would empower the schools and faculty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand
- Watch this video! Your stomach will churn as man puts 2 live vampire bats in mouth