Govt to develop river transport: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today lamented the boat tragedy in Dhubri in which 250 people were feared drowned in the Brahmaputra and said the government would lay emphasis on development of river transport to check recurrence of such incidents in the future.
"As many people across the state use ferry and boat as their mode of transport, emphasis has to be given on developing river transport in a big way," he said addressing a meeting of deputy commissioners and superintendents of police.
He urged the DCs and SPs to take strong action against those who carry excess load in boats and buses beyond their permissible limits.
"The death toll due to road accidents has gone up alarmingly. One of the factors is overloading much beyond the permissible limit. The DCs and SPs must strictly enforce the orders to put a halt to excess loading in boats and buses," he said and appreciated the prompt rescue operation launched by Dhubri district administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill