Govt to extend Rs 1,000-cr diesel subsidy to paddy growers
New Delhi: The Centre will provide a Rs 1,000-crore subsidy on diesel to paddy farmers for irrigation during the on-going Kharif season that would provide relief to growers in times of erratic monsoon, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said here on Friday.
"One major decision which the government has taken in
yesterday`s Cabinet meeting is to extend a budgetary provision
of Rs 1,000 crore for the support of the (paddy) farmers who
are using diesel pumps," Pawar said on the sidelines of a
Terming problems on the paddy fronts two-fold, the
minister admitted that the coverage of the crop has slumped,
while productivity, too, is expected to be impacted due to the
"Firstly, area (under paddy) is less. Secondly, we are
expecting less productivity because of this gap (in monsoon
arrival)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...