Govt to focus on locals affected by U`khand floods
New Delhi: As rescue operations for those stranded in Uttarakhand is nearing completion, the government has decided to focus on relief and rehabilitation of locals affected by rains and floods.
"We will do our best to provide relief and rehabilitation to people of Uttarakhand who were affected by the disaster," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told reporters.
Singh said authorities would ensure regular supply of essential commodities, establish communication links with all inaccessible villages and rehabilitate affected people.
"We will also look for all missing people," he said.
At least 16 lakh people in four districts of Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Rudraprayag and Garhwal were affected by the June 16 rains and floods.
According to NDMA, nearly 350 people continue to remain untraceable after the rains and floods.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will visit Uttarakhand on Friday to take stock of the relief, rescue and rehabilitation operations in the hill state.
Shinde will hold meeting with Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, senior officials of the state government, Army, Air Force, ITBP, NDRF and all those engaged in the ongoing relief, rescue and rehabilitation efforts.
This will be the Home Minister`s second visit to the flood-hit state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'