Govt to go by rules on Kejriwal`s plea for waiver
New Delhi: The government "will go by rules"
while deciding the plea of social activist Arvind Kejriwal, a key aide of Anna Hazare, to waive "violations" of service norms as he was issued a notice by Income Tax department to
pay dues of Rs 9.27 lakh.
"We will go by rules (in Kejriwal`s case)," Minister of State for Personnel and Training V Narayanasamy told.
The Office of the Chief Commissioner of Income Tax (CCIT)
had on August five issued a notice to Kejriwal, an IRS
officer, asking him to pay up, 11 days ahead of Hazare`s fast
demanding a strong Lokpal.
The CCIT office issued the notice to Kejriwal to clear
the dues alleging he violated the bond clauses under which he
went for a study leave for two years.
Kejriwal claimed he "did not violate" any bond provision and he resigned from the job after the stipulated three years of rejoining duty after study leave.
Meanwhile, Income Tax department sources said Kejriwal
was transferred to Chandigarh on promotion in March 2003 but
he did not take up his posting as the Joint Commissioner of
I-T and informed his superior authorities about his decision.
The CCIT office in Delhi had written to him in 2007 and
2008 for clearing his dues and Kejriwal responded to them with
a plea to waive his dues.
The latest notice of August 5 to the activist had been
sent after an RTI application was received by the Finance
Ministry in February this year, enquiring the service status
of Kejriwal as to whether he was still a government employee
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi