Govt to help Indians on accident-hit cruiser
New Delhi: Government on Tuesday said it will provide all required assistance to the over 200 Indians who were travelling aboard the luxury cruiser that ran aground off the Tuscan coast in Italy.
"Whatever assistance is required, it will be provided to
our people affected by the incident," Foreign Secretary Ranjan
Mathai today said.
He said the Ambassador and the mission in Italy were
assessing the assistance required by the affected Indians.
Indian embassy officials in Italy had said while one
Indian named Robello Russel Terence, who was a waiter on the
ill-fated Costa Concordia, was yet to be traced and efforts
were on to verify other details about him, no casualty among
the Indians has been reported so far.
Spokesman of the Indian Embassy in Rome, Visvesh Negi,
had told agency that there were a total of 203 Indians on the
ship -one passenger and 202 crew members.
"Out of the 202 crew members, 201 have been traced and
are safe. One person is missing. We are co-ordinating with the
Italian government and trying to trace the missing crew," Negi
The incident, which had happened on Saturday, left six
persons dead. The ship had hit a reef, or rock, near the
Tuscan island of Giglio before it toppled to the side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought