Govt to introduce bill in Parliament for AAI-like body
New Delhi: The Government will bring
amendment to a bill in Parliament for setting up a statutory
body for the planning, construction, maintenance and
management of Integrated Check Posts along international
The Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) will be
vested with powers on the lines of similar bodies like the
Airports Authority of India. Till the LPAI comes into
existence, an Empowered Steering Committee has been
constituted under the Secretary (Border Management) to
undertake the functions that will be ultimately discharged by
The Union Cabinet today cleared the amendment to the
Land Ports Authority of India Bill in the Parliament.
"When the Bill will be passed by the House, the LPAI
will become a statutory body for the planning, construction,
maintenance and management of the ICPs," a Home Ministry
The Bill was earlier introduced in the Parliament but
due to certain objections it was referred to the Parliamentary
Standing Committee, which gave some suggestions.
The Home Ministry after making the necessary changes
sent it for Cabinet clearance.
The ICPs are expected to provide facilities for the
effective and efficient discharge of sovereign functions such
as security, immigration, customs and quarantine, while also
providing support facilities for smooth cross-border movement
of people, goods and transport.
The ICPs are envisaged to overcome the infrastructural
bottlenecks at the various entry and exit points on the land
borders of the country.
An ICP has already been inaugurated in Attari (Punjab)
--along the Indo-Pakistan borders while one more will be
inaugurated at Raxaul (Bihar) along Indo-Nepal borders by Home
Minister P Chidambaram tomorrow.
Some more ICPs will be set up at Petrapole, Hili,
Chandrabangha (all in West Bengal), Moreh (Manipur), Dawki
(Meghalaya), Akhaura (Tripura), Jogbani (Bihar), Sutarkhandi
(Assam), Kawarpuchiah (Mizoram), Sunauli and Rupaidiha (both
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal