Govt to introduce bill in Parliament for AAI-like body
New Delhi: The Government will bring
amendment to a bill in Parliament for setting up a statutory
body for the planning, construction, maintenance and
management of Integrated Check Posts along international
The Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) will be
vested with powers on the lines of similar bodies like the
Airports Authority of India. Till the LPAI comes into
existence, an Empowered Steering Committee has been
constituted under the Secretary (Border Management) to
undertake the functions that will be ultimately discharged by
The Union Cabinet today cleared the amendment to the
Land Ports Authority of India Bill in the Parliament.
"When the Bill will be passed by the House, the LPAI
will become a statutory body for the planning, construction,
maintenance and management of the ICPs," a Home Ministry
The Bill was earlier introduced in the Parliament but
due to certain objections it was referred to the Parliamentary
Standing Committee, which gave some suggestions.
The Home Ministry after making the necessary changes
sent it for Cabinet clearance.
The ICPs are expected to provide facilities for the
effective and efficient discharge of sovereign functions such
as security, immigration, customs and quarantine, while also
providing support facilities for smooth cross-border movement
of people, goods and transport.
The ICPs are envisaged to overcome the infrastructural
bottlenecks at the various entry and exit points on the land
borders of the country.
An ICP has already been inaugurated in Attari (Punjab)
--along the Indo-Pakistan borders while one more will be
inaugurated at Raxaul (Bihar) along Indo-Nepal borders by Home
Minister P Chidambaram tomorrow.
Some more ICPs will be set up at Petrapole, Hili,
Chandrabangha (all in West Bengal), Moreh (Manipur), Dawki
(Meghalaya), Akhaura (Tripura), Jogbani (Bihar), Sutarkhandi
(Assam), Kawarpuchiah (Mizoram), Sunauli and Rupaidiha (both
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon