Govt to make fresh attempt to assess anti-graft steps
New Delhi: After failing to get a favourable response, the government has decided to start afresh its effort to review the country`s fight against corruption through a self-evaluation study as part of a mandatory obligation under a UN convention on graft.
Official sources said the Ministry of Personnel will soon issue an Expression of Interest (EoI) seeking nominations from interested agencies to carry out a study by independent experts.
The Ministry had in May invited entries for the study as part of a compulsory requirement after ratification of the UN Convention Against Corruption, an international legal instrument to check graft.
The UNCAC was ratified by India on May 9 last year.
The offer, which was initially made on May 9, seeking feedback from concerned agencies within a month had to be extended following slack response.
Later in October, the government was decided to close the EoI as it failed to elicit response from a minimum of three qualifying applicants.
"The Ministry is also considering to give the job to law students on an open nominations basis," an official said.
As per the EoI, the task of the selected firm would be to find out whether Indian domestic laws are fully or partly compliant or non-compliant with the UN Convention.
The selected agency would be also mandated to interact with Ministries of Home Affairs, External Affairs, Law & Justice, Corporate Affairs and Central Vigilance Commission and CBI to gather inputs or clarifications while meeting requirements laid down under the UNCAC.
India is among the 160 nations which have either ratified or acceded to the UN Convention Against Corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation