‘Govt to make `suitable` statement in Parl on CVC issue’
New Delhi: Government will make a "suitable" statement on the Supreme Court quashing the appointment of PJ Thomas as Central Vigilance Commissioner.
"Government will next week make a suitable statement", Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ashwani Kumar said in the Rajya Sabha after senior BJP member M Venkaiah Naidu raised the issue.
Naidu, joined by his party colleagues, wanted to know when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would be making a statement on the "shocking" development.
The Opposition was agitated over Kumar`s earlier remarks that government would make a statement "if necessary".
"What is meant by `if necessary`? It was a shocking development," Naidu said asserting that the government has to make a statement.
In a setback to the government, the Supreme Court struck down the appointment of Thomas as CVC on the ground that he was facing charges in a corruption case relating to import of palmolein in Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery