Govt to phase out SSB cadre
New Delhi: The government has decided to phase
out a non-uniformed cadre comprising 4,000 personnel which was
created to work in border areas in the wake of Chinese
aggression in 1962 and worked under Research and Analysis Wing
(RAW) till 2001.
The cadre is at present part of the paramilitary Sashastra
Seema Bal (SSB) which guards Indian borders with Nepal and
The personnel in these units help the force gather
intelligence and earn public goodwill, an essential necessity
for operational purposes in and around border villages and
"Yes I agree it`s a dying cadre because in certain places
the progression of their careers has been slightly stunted....
It (complete phase out) will take some time. There are about
4,000 people in this cadre," SSB chief Pranay Sahay said
when asked if the cadre would be abolished.
Sahay said according to government policy these personnel
can get enrolled into "combat ranks" after they pass the
mandatory rules of physical fitness and ability but not many
people have opted for it.
"There will be no combatisation (of the civilian
cadre).... as it is a laid down policy of the government that
it will not be done without the consent of the individual,"
the SSB Director General said.
The cadre, for the last 48 years, has been working in
insurgency hit areas along the border and recently in
Naxal-hit states, undertaking civic welfare programmes like
teaching children in schools, conducting medical camps and
organising vocational training courses.
"They won sympathy and praise for the force wherever they
worked. They worked on the policy that welfare and police
action should go hand-in-hand so that locals have a sense of
belonging for the country," a senior SSB officer said.
The cadre worked under the command of RAW in the Cabinet
Secretariat till 2001 after which SSB became a new armed force
under the Union Home Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack