Govt to procure multi-barrel guns for helicopters
New Delhi: The government has invited
proposals for procuring multi-barrel gatlin guns which can be
mounted on MI-17 and `Dhruv` helicopters for use by security
forces like the NSG and para-military commandos.
A Quality Requirements (QRs) specification has been
floated by the Home Ministry to procure six-barrel guns also
known as Dillon Aero Guns, presently used by NATO forces.
The weapon is mounted on helicopters to launch
devastating aerial attacks on enemy positions on the ground
and also protect troops on-board from fires and rocket attacks
emanating from the surface.
The gun will be able to hit a target in the range of
1000 metres including areas inside dense jungles and hideouts
and is enabled with night vision capabilities.
The QRs have specified that the gun, to be operated by
two people, with an operating system which can be electric or
gas run, should be capable to be mounted on the MI-17 and
Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) `Dhruv` which have been
recently deployed for anti-Naxal operations in the country
with bases at Ranchi (Jharkhand) and Raipur (Chhattisgarh).
It has been specifically stated that the 7.62mm calibre
gun should have the compatibility to run on country-made
According to the specifications, the gun should have six
titanium made barrels, with minimum 1,00,000 rounds of barrel
life, a maximum weight of 25 kilogram except battery,
ammunition and the tripod and it should be able to bear
temperatures ranging form minus 30 degrees Celsius to 55
The prospective manufacturer of the gun has also been
asked to provide maintenance, repair and testing tools for the
The ammunition to the gun will be fed via a belt and
hence the machine requires two people for its operation.
The magazine of the gun has been sought in three
variants of 1,500 rounds, 3,000 rounds and 4,000 rounds, with
a minimum rate of fire at 3,000 rounds per minute.
According to experts, the gun is used to hit on
concealed targets for continuous firing and can also be
synchronised with navigational devices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi