Govt to quantify black money, study underway
New Delhi: Amid mounting pressure to unearth
black money, the government on Sunday announced it has
commissioned an in-depth study to quantify unaccounted income
and wealth stashed within and outside the country in 16
The study has been undertaken by the country`s three top
level institutions, which would also profile the activities
used for money-laundering and identify the causes of black
money and the sectors in which it is generated.
"So far, there are no reliable estimates of black money
generated and held within and outside the country," the
Finance Ministry, which commissioned the study, said.
The study will also suggest ways to detect and prevent
unaccounted money, bringing it into the tax net.
Work on the study, which commenced in March, is being
undertaken by the National Council for Applied Economic
Research (NCEAR), National Institute of Public Finance and
Policy (NIPFP) and National Institute of Financial Management
The first study on unaccounted money was conducted by
NIPFP way back in 1985.
The ministry said that the estimates, which are not
reliable, vary from USD 462 billion to USD 1.4 trillion.
Even as a joint panel of ministers and social activists,
including Anna Hazare is working on the draft Lokpal Bill,
yoga guru Ramdev has threatened to go on huger strike here
from June 4 on the issue of black money.
The government has also constituted a committee of high-
level officials, including the chief of the Central Board of
Direct Taxes (CBDT), to suggest a legal framework for
confiscating such wealth by declaring it as "national assets".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Congress vs Amitabh Bachchan: Abhishek Bachchan supports father, says Big B not hosting any political event
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics
- It's raining sponsors at Cricket Association of Bengal
- India thump Pakistan to enter final of Asian Snooker team championship
- Tata Steel says yet to shortlist bidder for UK plant