Govt to review security of Op Bluestar officers
New Delhi: Government has convened a high-level meeting next week to review the security of Lt Gen (Retd) K S Brar and others who were involved in the 1984 Operation Bluestar against Sikh militants in the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
The meeting, to be chaired by Union Home Secretary R K Singh and to be attended by Army, Maharashtra Police and others, will also review whether there was any security lapse anywhere leading to the assassination attempt on 78-year-old Brar on Sunday.
There will be a thorough stock-taking to find out whether any communication gap led to the attack on Brar as he had claimed that he had informed local military officials about his travel plan. The Home Ministry denied receiving any such communication.
The government had decided to continue the `Z` category security being provided to Brar at a review meeting held on June 6.
Security of other Army officers, who were involved in the operation to flush out militants hiding in Golden Temple, will also be reviewed in the meeting.
Ever since the Operation Bluestar, the Army soldiers are guarding the officers, who were leading it, on the basis of the security assessment made by the Home Ministry.
Brar, who was stabbed in the neck and cheek near Oxford Street in London on September 30 when he was walking down to his hotel with his wife, had said he was convinced that the attackers were pro-Khalistan elements and they intended to kill him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO