Govt to review security of Op Bluestar officers
New Delhi: Government has convened a high-level meeting next week to review the security of Lt Gen (Retd) K S Brar and others who were involved in the 1984 Operation Bluestar against Sikh militants in the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
The meeting, to be chaired by Union Home Secretary R K Singh and to be attended by Army, Maharashtra Police and others, will also review whether there was any security lapse anywhere leading to the assassination attempt on 78-year-old Brar on Sunday.
There will be a thorough stock-taking to find out whether any communication gap led to the attack on Brar as he had claimed that he had informed local military officials about his travel plan. The Home Ministry denied receiving any such communication.
The government had decided to continue the `Z` category security being provided to Brar at a review meeting held on June 6.
Security of other Army officers, who were involved in the operation to flush out militants hiding in Golden Temple, will also be reviewed in the meeting.
Ever since the Operation Bluestar, the Army soldiers are guarding the officers, who were leading it, on the basis of the security assessment made by the Home Ministry.
Brar, who was stabbed in the neck and cheek near Oxford Street in London on September 30 when he was walking down to his hotel with his wife, had said he was convinced that the attackers were pro-Khalistan elements and they intended to kill him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended