Govt to revisit procedures for appointment of judges: Moily
New Delhi: Government may have a fresh
look at the method of appointment of judges to higher
judiciary and would not like to see that any tainted person
becoming a judge, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said on Wednesday.
At the same time, he refused to be drawn into a
discussion on Karnataka Chief Justice P D Dinakaran whose
elevation to the Supreme Court has been kept in abeyance over
allegations of landgrabbing.
Addressing a press conference, Moily said government
wanted to come out with a comprehensive bill to deal with
complaints of corruption against judges.
"Already there is a memorandum of procedure (on
appointment of judges) which we are going by as of today. I am
not reiterating that the same thing will continue. May be, we
have to revisit the procedure. Whatever we do, we need to take
the judiciary into full confidence" he said.
He was replying to a question whether government was
contemplating making changes in the procedures for such
Moily referred to the 1993 and 1998 decisions of the
apex court which led to the Memorandum of Procedures relating
to Supreme Court Collegium that appoints judges to the higher
There have been demands from political parties that
the appointment of judges should revert back to the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive