Govt to send Prez reference to SC for probe against Ganguly
New Delhi: The government is likely to send a Presidential reference to Supreme Court for conducting a probe into the allegation of sexual harassment against Justice (retd) AK Ganguly after the Attorney General has endorsed it.
The Home Ministry is expected to place a note, for sending a Presidential reference, before the Union Cabinet soon incorporating the views of Attorney General GE Vahanvati who has noted that a case can be made out against Ganguly following allegations of "unwelcome behaviour" towards a woman law intern.
Sources said once the Cabinet clears the proposal, it will be sent to President Pranab Mukherjee for approval.
The Home Ministry then will send the Presidential reference to Chief Justice of India for conducting a fresh probe into the whole incident.
The Attorney General`s suggestions came after his views were sought on a letter to the President by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee seeking Ganguly`s removal from chairmanship of West Bengal Human Rights Commission following a woman law intern`s allegation of sexual harassment against the former judge.
Justice Ganguly has strongly denied the charge and refused to quit his post.
Sources said the Attorney General had been asked to give views on whether any case can be made out on three issues -- the allegation of sexual harassment against Ganguly, his visit to Pakistan without informing the West Bengal government and taking an assignment from All India Football Federation despite holding the high post of human rights commission.
The Protection of Human Rights Act is clear that a Chairperson or member of the NHRC or a state human rights commission can only be removed "by order of the President of India on the grounds of proven misbehaviour or incapacity after the Supreme Court, on reference being made to it by the President, has, on enquiry...Reported that the Chairperson or the member, as the case may be, ought on any such ground to be removed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing