Govt to set up chain of radar sensors along coasts
New Delhi: The government has launched a
project to set up radar sensors along the country`s coastlines
for surveillance in order to avoid a Mumbai-like terror attack
during which Pakistani terrorists took the sea route to enter
The Rs 350-crore project to set up the chain of radar
sensors along the entire 7,517-km coastline, Andaman and
Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep is implemented by the Coast
The radar sensors will be fitted on light houses at 46
locations, out of which 36 are in mainland, six in Lakshadweep
Islands and four in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Radar sensors use Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave
(FMCW) to reliably detect moving or stationary objects even in
extreme weather conditions.
"The government has been on continuing basis reviewing
the security arrangements of our coastline in the light of
emerging challenges, including from terrorists. The decision
to set up a chain of radar sensors has been taken to
strengthen the coastal security," an official said.
As part of the overall coastal security, the Navy has
been designated as the authority responsible for overall
maritime security which includes coastal security and offshore
The Indian Coast Guard is additionally designated as
the authority responsible for coastal security in territorial
waters, including areas patrolled by State Coastal Police.
The existing Coastal Security Scheme provides for
setting up of 73 coastal police stations, 97 check posts, 58
outposts and 30 operational barracks, equipped with 204
vessels and vehicles in the nine coastal states, four coastal
So far, 66 coastal police stations have been
operationalised. Supply of interceptor boats to the states and
union territories has also started and 109 boats have been
supplied till last month.
Besides, the Ministry of Shipping has been mandated to
streamline the process of registration of all types of vessels
-- fishing as well as non-fishing -- and also to ensure
fitting of navigational and communication equipments on these
Of India`s total coastline, 5423 km is along the
mainland and 2094 km in the Andaman and Nicobar and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown