Govt to set up Equal Opportunities Commission for minorities
New Delhi: Ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, the government on Thursday cleared a proposal for setting up the much- awaited Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC), a statutory body to check discrimination of minority communities in jobs and education.
The Justice Sachar Committee, which went into the socio-economic backwardness of Muslims, had recommended setting up of such a panel. The proposal got the nod of the Union Cabinet today.
EOC will also deal with grievances like denial of accommodation or buying rights to minorities in housing societies.
The recommendation for setting up of EOC was made during UPA-I itself and the Minority Affairs Ministry had begun the process to establish an omnibus body that could include all sections as soon as the UPA II government came to power.
A jumbo Group of Ministers, chaired by A K Antony, was set up to look into the matter as disputes arose about the location and powers of the panel with various other national commissions and ministries complaining that the proposed mandate of EOC would be encroaching upon their mandate.
The GoM had later mandated that EOC will deal exclusively with minorities.
EOC`s mandate is to ensure that no minority community is discriminated against on religious grounds by redressing complaints. It has to make binding recommendations that people from minority communities find adequate representation in government employment or educational institutions.
The Sachar Committee that studied the socio-economic condition of the minorities in India had noted that though Muslims constituted 18.5 percent of the population, their representation in bureaucracy was just about 2.5 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS