Govt to set up lab for testing of meat, poultry products
New Delhi: In order to increase exports of
meat and poultry products from the country, a quality testing
laboratory will be set up in Delhi next month, Union Food
Processing Minister Subodh Kant Sahai said today.
"To facilitate exports, the National Meat and Poultry
Processing Board is establishing the first meat and poultry
food testing lab in Delhi that will start functioning by June
30, Sahai said at the Board`s second national conference here.
He also said that at least four more such laboratories
will be required in order to facilitate easier quality testing
of the products.
Noting that India, which has the largest livestock
population in the world (42 crore), has only 2 per cent share
in the global meat market, Sahai said that appropriate
measures need to be taken to increase this.
Upgrading slaughter houses, training butchers and
arranging for transportation facilities that refrigerate the
meat and poultry products from the point of production to
supply are needed in order to increase exports.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?