Govt to suggest accountability committee to oversee CBI probe
New Delhi: The Centre will file its affidavit before the Supreme Court on Wednesday explaining measures to insulate CBI from external influence which include forming a panel of three retired judges of the apex and high courts.
The affidavit, which was approved by the Union Cabinet last week, gives financial powers to the CBI director equivalent to director generals of other paramilitary forces.
On insulating CBI`s investigation from political interference, the affidavit is likely to suggest formation of an accountability committee comprising retired judges who will oversee the independent functioning of the probe agency.
The affidavit is likely to suggest a new mechanism for the appointment of the director (prosecution) which is at present a Law Ministry appointee, official sources said.
A collegium comprising Prime Minister and Leader of Opposition among others for selection of CBI director is also likely to be a part of the government`s recommendations.
The government is also considering to amend Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act, which governs the functioning of the CBI, to accommodate the suggested changes, the sources said.
However, one of the key demands of CBI to remove Section 6 (A) of the DSPE Act has not been accepted by the government.
The section mandates prior permission from the government for CBI before conducting an investigation or enquiry against a joint secretary and above level officers.
The Supreme Court will hear the matter on July 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read