Govt to suggest accountability committee to oversee CBI probe
New Delhi: The Centre will file its affidavit before the Supreme Court on Wednesday explaining measures to insulate CBI from external influence which include forming a panel of three retired judges of the apex and high courts.
The affidavit, which was approved by the Union Cabinet last week, gives financial powers to the CBI director equivalent to director generals of other paramilitary forces.
On insulating CBI`s investigation from political interference, the affidavit is likely to suggest formation of an accountability committee comprising retired judges who will oversee the independent functioning of the probe agency.
The affidavit is likely to suggest a new mechanism for the appointment of the director (prosecution) which is at present a Law Ministry appointee, official sources said.
A collegium comprising Prime Minister and Leader of Opposition among others for selection of CBI director is also likely to be a part of the government`s recommendations.
The government is also considering to amend Delhi Special Police Establishment (DSPE) Act, which governs the functioning of the CBI, to accommodate the suggested changes, the sources said.
However, one of the key demands of CBI to remove Section 6 (A) of the DSPE Act has not been accepted by the government.
The section mandates prior permission from the government for CBI before conducting an investigation or enquiry against a joint secretary and above level officers.
The Supreme Court will hear the matter on July 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown