Govt told to probe `manhandling` of CPI-M MP
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari on Friday directed the government to probe the alleged "manhandling" of CPI-M member T N Seema by Delhi Police during a protest demanding removal of Deputy Chairman P J Kurien who is facing charges in the Suryanelli rape case.
Taking a serious note of the matter, members met Ansari in his chamber before the House met for the day seeking his intervention saying Seema is a member of the Rajya Sabha.
Ansari asked the government to submit a report before the next sitting of the House.
"Some members met me this morning and informed that T N Seema, MP, was manhandled yesterday by the Delhi police personnel in a police van. It is a serious matter which relates to the dignity of the member and the prestige of the House.
"I direct the government to inquire into the matter and submit a report before the next sitting of the House," Ansari said.
CPI MP D Raja told reporters that the issue was taken up seriously by members of all parties during their meeting with Ansari and even Union Minister Rajiv Shukla described it as a serious matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader