Govt under fire for promoting those facing corruption charges
New Delhi: The shifting of S Jaipal Reddy from Petroleum Ministry and elevation of Salman Khurshid on Monday kicked up a political storm with parties suspecting the government of coming under corporate pressure and accusing it of promoting those facing corruption charges.
Sharp comments came against yesterday`s Cabinet reshuffle from government`s outside supporter Samajwadi Party, which raised questions about the elevation of Khurshid as External Affairs Minister and the continuation of a minister allegedly involved in Coal scam.
"Khurshid has been upgraded in a way and he has been made the External Affairs Minister. If a minister is accused of graft, he should be taken out. A minister who was supposed to be removed, who was directly involved in coal scam, he is still there.
"Good people should have been promoted," senior Samajwadi Party leader Ramgopal Yadav said.
Khurshid, who has denied the allegations of wrongdoing, said he would not like to comment on the issue regarding the NGO run by him and his wife because the matter is in court.
Seeking an answer from the government on Reddy`s removal from the high-profile ministry, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said the minister was a senior leader and considered an able Parliamentarian.
"A person like him was suddenly removed and was placed in unimportant Science and Technology (Ministry). People and media are saying that this was done due to the pressure of industrial groups.
"The government should give an answer about this. This is an important issue. What was the reason behind his removal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical