Govt under fire for promoting those facing corruption charges
New Delhi: The shifting of S Jaipal Reddy from Petroleum Ministry and elevation of Salman Khurshid on Monday kicked up a political storm with parties suspecting the government of coming under corporate pressure and accusing it of promoting those facing corruption charges.
Sharp comments came against yesterday`s Cabinet reshuffle from government`s outside supporter Samajwadi Party, which raised questions about the elevation of Khurshid as External Affairs Minister and the continuation of a minister allegedly involved in Coal scam.
"Khurshid has been upgraded in a way and he has been made the External Affairs Minister. If a minister is accused of graft, he should be taken out. A minister who was supposed to be removed, who was directly involved in coal scam, he is still there.
"Good people should have been promoted," senior Samajwadi Party leader Ramgopal Yadav said.
Khurshid, who has denied the allegations of wrongdoing, said he would not like to comment on the issue regarding the NGO run by him and his wife because the matter is in court.
Seeking an answer from the government on Reddy`s removal from the high-profile ministry, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said the minister was a senior leader and considered an able Parliamentarian.
"A person like him was suddenly removed and was placed in unimportant Science and Technology (Ministry). People and media are saying that this was done due to the pressure of industrial groups.
"The government should give an answer about this. This is an important issue. What was the reason behind his removal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports