Govt unmoved as Anna Hazare`s fast enters day 2
New Delhi: Anna Hazare’s fast-unto-death entered day two on Monday at Jantar Mantar to press for a strong Lokpal Bill. The Gandhian had joined his three close aides on fast yesterday inspite of many warning him about his health.
Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai went on an indefinite fast on July 25. Anna’s fast came after his four-day ultimatum to the government to concede to his demands on Lokpal Bill found no response.
"Till we get Jan Lokpal, the countrymen will not allow me to die", Hazare had said addressing his supporters yesterday.
"They (politicians) are servants and we people are the owners; but the picture today is that people have become the servant and the politicians are the owner," he thundered to loud cheers.
"This movement is to awaken the people," he added.
The soldier-turned-activist denied accusations that Team Anna was deviating from its stated aim of getting the Jan Lokpal Bill passed in parliament.
"It is the government which is moving away from its path. Our main demand is to get the Jan Lokpal Bill passed", he said.
This is the fourth indefinite fast by Hazare since April last year. The April fast was followed by one in Ramlila Maidan here in August and in Mumbai in December. In between, he had single-day fasts in Delhi thrice -- in June and December last year and March this year.
Meanwhile, there have been no assurances from the government to Team Anna and as of now the Congress-led UPA government does not seem in the mood to budge to their demands.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31