Govt unmoved as Anna Hazare`s fast enters day 2
New Delhi: Anna Hazare’s fast-unto-death entered day two on Monday at Jantar Mantar to press for a strong Lokpal Bill. The Gandhian had joined his three close aides on fast yesterday inspite of many warning him about his health.
Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai went on an indefinite fast on July 25. Anna’s fast came after his four-day ultimatum to the government to concede to his demands on Lokpal Bill found no response.
"Till we get Jan Lokpal, the countrymen will not allow me to die", Hazare had said addressing his supporters yesterday.
"They (politicians) are servants and we people are the owners; but the picture today is that people have become the servant and the politicians are the owner," he thundered to loud cheers.
"This movement is to awaken the people," he added.
The soldier-turned-activist denied accusations that Team Anna was deviating from its stated aim of getting the Jan Lokpal Bill passed in parliament.
"It is the government which is moving away from its path. Our main demand is to get the Jan Lokpal Bill passed", he said.
This is the fourth indefinite fast by Hazare since April last year. The April fast was followed by one in Ramlila Maidan here in August and in Mumbai in December. In between, he had single-day fasts in Delhi thrice -- in June and December last year and March this year.
Meanwhile, there have been no assurances from the government to Team Anna and as of now the Congress-led UPA government does not seem in the mood to budge to their demands.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why