Govt unperturbed by protests on Lokpal Bill: Cong
New Delhi: The UPA government is
"unperturbed" by protests as its Lokpal Bill is "one of the
best" and it was following all Parliamentary procedures, Union
minister E Ahamed said on Sunday.
Asserting that Parliament`s "importance cannot be
reduced", the Minister of State for Human Resource Development
(HRD), while replying to queries on Anna Hazare`s token fast
at Jantar Mantar today, said the UPA government "is committed"
to checking corruption.
"That`s why we brought this bill, the Lokpal Bill is one
of the best bills."
"If you want to make a small issue a bigger issue, you
can have it. But so far the UPA government is concerned, we
are not perturbed.... Parliament is supreme.... We are always
following Parliamentary procedures. Parliament`s importance
cannot be reduced," Ahamed told reporters here.
He, however, added, "There may be some opinion about the
provisions of the Bill. Anybody may very well ventilate their
sentiment. Anybody can move an amendment because it is a
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain
- Chopper deal: I blacklisted AgustaWestland, not UPA, says Arun Jaitley
- Israeli jets carry out raids on Gaza: Palestinian Ministry