‘Govt wants to control CBI to arm twist rivals’
New Delhi: Criticising the decision to
exclude CBI from the ambit of RTI, activist Arvind Kejriwal
on Tuesday accused the government of not bringing it under an
independent Lokpal to "arm twist" political leaders opposed to
Ahead of the final meeting of the joint drafting
committee on Lokpal Bill, Kejriwal told reporters that it
appears that whenever the government was in trouble, it will
"send CBI after politicians like Mulayam Singh Yadav and
"The government is interested in keeping the CBI as a
dishonest agency so that it can arm twist opponents and
scuttle any investigation against their own people," Kejriwal,
who is one of the ten member of the committee, said.
He also noted that CBI does not deal with security and
intelligence and cannot be clubbed with agencies like
Intelligence Bureau or RAW. "RTI Act says security and
intelligence agencies can be kept out," he said.
Asked about the previous meetings of the Lokpal
drafting committee, he said they had a feeling that the
decisions of the government side were "pre-decided".
However, he said, the silver lining was that they were
able to hold a country-wide discussion about Lokpal and its
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs