Govt wants to make CAG its agent: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: A day after a report claimed that the government was considering converting the Comptroller and Auditor General into a multi-member body, activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal said on Monday that the government wanted to make the CAG its agent.
Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai’s reports have given the opposition the much-needed ammo against the UPA government. He has been under fire from various ministers and Congress functionaries.
The selection process of the CAG should be independent from politics and should be investigated, added Kejriwal.
"When CAG was coming out with strong reports, government tried to suppress it. We feel that it should be completely independents of politicians. Even the opposition should not have a say in the selection of CAG. Because in some state opposition in power and in some state government is in power," he added.
On Sunday, however, the government did a flip-flop on converting the CAG into a multi-member body. Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V Narayanasamy had told news agency PTI in an interview that the government was considering a former CAG`s suggestion for making the official auditor a multi-member body.
"It (Shunglu panel`s suggestion to make changes in CAG) is under active consideration. The government is actively considering it," Narayanasamy had said during the interview.
He, however, later backtracked and denied making any such remarks. The minister told television channels that he was "misquoted". Notably, the CAG is appointed under Article 148 of the Constitution, and this provision is only for a single member body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees