Govt welcomes Muslim quota in AP; BJP says its "disastrous"
New Delhi: The government and a prominent
Muslim political group on Thursday welcomed the Supreme Court`s
lifting the stay on Andhra Pradesh government`s move to
provide four per cent quota in jobs and education for backward
members of Muslims while BJP said reservation based on
religion was "disastrous" for Indian democracy.
"I`m happy that honourable Supreme Court has stayed it.
Many of the students were having a problem and many of the
appointments made by Andhra Pradesh government was in a big
problem. Now, I think that kind of unrest is over", Law
Minister M Veerappa Moily said.
Assadduin Owaisi, leader of Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen
of Andhra Pradesh, said the apex court`s stay "is a great
thing for the Muslim community in Andhra Pradesh"
On the other hand, BJP spokesman Rajiv Pratap Rudy said
his party "has expressed earlier that reservation based on
religion could be disastrous for Indian democracy".
"One needs to take a holistic view on the subject", he
Moily said Andhra Pradesh government has not provided
reservation to Muslims on the basis of religion but on the
basis of backwardness.
Lifting the stay on AP government`s decision, a
three-judge bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan,
Justice J M Panchal and B S Chauhan however said "since it
involves important questions of Constitution, we are referring
the matter to a Constitution bench" for hearing in the second
week of August.
Meanwhile, Vishwa Hindu Parishad said giving any
reservation based on religion was "unconstitutional".
VHP general secretary Pravin Togadia said in a statement
that "the castes allowed to get four per cent reservation as
Muslim castes are already getting the benefit of 27 per cent
reservation benefits as OBC. Now with this order, these
Muslims will get double reservation".
"This is absolute socio-religious injustice to OBCs who
are non-Muslim", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof