`Govt will assist SC on decriminalising homosexuality`
New Delhi: Government will assist the
Supreme Court in arriving at a "right decision" on the issue
of decriminalising homosexuality and no decision should be
expected from the Union Cabinet on the matter, Law Minister M
Veerappa Moily said on Sunday.
"The decision has been already given by the Delhi High
Court (decriminalising gay sex). Only question is certain
appeals have been filed before the Supreme Court in which we
(government) are not the party...the parties are petitioners
and respondents. Our law officers will deal with the
question," he told reporters.
Asked when the Cabinet is expected to reach a decision on
whether the Centre will challenge the High Court order in the
apex court, Moily said, "I don`t think you can expect a
decision from the Cabinet. We can only assist the court in
arriving at a right decision."
The apex court is expected to take up the matter shortly.
It had issued a notice to the Centre on a petition filed by a
Christian body, a disciple of Yoga guru Ramdev and an
astrologer seeking a stay on the High Court verdict on the
ground that legalising gay sex will have a catastrophic effect
on the society`s moral fabric.
All the petitioners have sought setting aside of the
July two High Court verdict legalising gay sex between
consenting adults in private, which was earlier a criminal
offence punishable with up to life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon