Govt will soon take a decision on NCTC
New Delhi: The government will soon take a decision on setting up of the controversial National Counter- Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh said after issuance of notification on February 3 creating the NCTC, some states had raised certain objections.
"The Government of India is committed to account for the concerns/objections/ suggestions of various states / Union Territories. A suitable decision in this regard will be taken shortly," he said.
The Home Ministry had held a meeting of all Chief Ministers on May 5 after some Chief Ministers requested for wider consultations.
Those who opposed the NCTC include Chief Ministers Naveen Patnaik (Odisha), J Jayalalitha (Tamil Nadu) and Narendra Modi (Gujarat). They had claimed that such a body armed with powers will hurt the federal structure of the country.
Sources said the Home Ministry has prepared a new plan and according to it the NCTC will be kept out of the ambit of the Intelligence Bureau and will be an independent entity directly reporting to the Ministry.
New Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde is reviewing the proposal, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened