Govt will soon take a decision on NCTC
New Delhi: The government will soon take a decision on setting up of the controversial National Counter- Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh said after issuance of notification on February 3 creating the NCTC, some states had raised certain objections.
"The Government of India is committed to account for the concerns/objections/ suggestions of various states / Union Territories. A suitable decision in this regard will be taken shortly," he said.
The Home Ministry had held a meeting of all Chief Ministers on May 5 after some Chief Ministers requested for wider consultations.
Those who opposed the NCTC include Chief Ministers Naveen Patnaik (Odisha), J Jayalalitha (Tamil Nadu) and Narendra Modi (Gujarat). They had claimed that such a body armed with powers will hurt the federal structure of the country.
Sources said the Home Ministry has prepared a new plan and according to it the NCTC will be kept out of the ambit of the Intelligence Bureau and will be an independent entity directly reporting to the Ministry.
New Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde is reviewing the proposal, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?