Govt will use all channels to bring back marines, hopes Congress
New Delhi: Amid political uproar over Italy`s refusal to send back two accused Italian marines to face trial here for homicide, Congress on Thursday expressed hope that the government will use all diplomatic channels to bring the "culprits" back to India.
"We believe the government will use all diplomatic channels to bring back the culprits to India so that they can be tried as per the Indian law," party spokesperson P C Chacko told reporters.
He said the Congress fully supports the "bold" initiative taken by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
A party leader speaking on the condition of anonymity, however, said the demand for "arrest" of Italian ambassador Daniele Mancini is not logical but there is a possibility of declaring him a "persona non grata" after which he will have to leave the country, in case Italy does not agree to send back the two accused.
At the AICC briefing, Chacko said he hopes that the Supreme Court will also take up the contempt proceedings in this matter.
Earlier in the day, the apex court restrained Mancini from leaving the country without its permission, taking exception to his government`s refusal to send back the duo.
Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone were charged with homicide for killing two fishermen off the Kerala coast in February last year in an anti-piracy operation.
They were permitted by the apex court on February 22 to go to Italy for four weeks for voting in elections and directed to return within four weeks.
Another senior Congress leader said blaming the government for the decision to send the marines to Italy is not correct as it was an order of the Supreme Court.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof