Govt within right to appoint ex-CBI chief as governor: Shinde
New Delhi: Under BJP`s attack for appointing former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar as Governor of Nagaland, the government on Monday said it was within its right to do so and he was a fit enough to serve the nation longer.
"It is well within the right of the government to appoint a Governor and there is nothing wrong about the appointment of Ashwani Kumar. There have been past precedents when former IPS or IAS officers or former Army chiefs were appointed as Governors," Shinde told reporters.
62-year-old Kumar, who was the Director of the agency from August 2008 to November 2010, is the first head of CBI to be appointed as a Governor.
The Home Minister brushed aside the remark of opposition BJP saying it was the decision of the government and there was nothing wrong in that.
Asked whether the appointment of Kumar as Governor would entice other serving officers as well, Shinde said "sab ko desh seva karne ka mauka milna chahiye (everyone should be allowed to work for the nation)."
Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said Kumar had retired from the service two years ago.
"He has been appointed as a Governor because there is no bar under any law for appointing a retired officer as a Governor," he said and added people from the fields of politics, police and administrative services had been appointed in the past well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate