Govt won`t share names of those denied Padma Awards
New Delhi: Information of about those denied
Padma Awards should not be shared with the media, the Home
Ministry told an RTI applicant, though there is no such
provision in the transparency law.
This year`s final 130 recipients were picked from among
1,163 names discussed by the Padma Awards committee in two
The Ministry, which was directed to disclose information
on the Padma Awards by the Central Information Commission, has
provided it with a caveat that this information was only meant
for the applicant and not for publicity in press.
Former National Security Adviser Brajesh Mishra, painter
Jatin Das and dancer-scholar Padma Subrahmanyam were among
those recommended by Prime Minister`s Office but did not find
a place in the final list.
The Home Ministry response came on an RTI application by
Subhash Chandra Agrawal in which it gave a list of candidates
whose names were deliberated by the Padma Awards Committee.
The Right to Information Act does not have any provision
which gives a public authority powers to ask any applicant
not to use information provided to him, Chief Information
Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah said.
"Under the act it is not possible that a department can
make such a request... Once the information is given under the
law, it is public," Habibullah told PTI.
Eminent Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan also said
the reply given by the Home Ministry did not conform to the
provisions of the RTI Act.
He said public authorities cannot make any such
direction which is not in accordance with the transparency
Aggarwal said the CIC should confirm if such directions
by a public-authority were permissible or not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!